What is SEO and Why is it Important for Website Owners?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) means increasing traffic to your website through organic (non-paid) search engine results. Search engines such as Google help millions of users per day looking for answers to their questions and for solutions to their problems.
If you have a website, SEO can help your business grow and meet your business objectives.
Where to Start
Many website owners don’t know where to start when it comes to getting their websites to rank higher in search results.
You might think that you need to spend a fortune buying Google keywords to get on the first page of search results in Google. However, that this is not correct. Buying Google keywords is just one method to improve search rankings. And for most small businesses, it should not be the first place to start.
Three Ways to Rank Better in Search Engine Results
Below are some of important actions you can take to improve your search rank so prospective and current customers can find you online.
1. Add a Blog to your website
Search engines like Google rank sites with regularly added content higher than those that are not updated often. A blog is a great to accomplish this. Anytime you add text-rich pages to your website, you’re giving Google more content to index. You also positioning yourself as an expert in your field and creating more opportunities to leverage this content in social media channels.
2. Make sure your website is mobile-friendly
Of all the factors Google looks at when ranking your website in search results, mobile usability is ranked as as one of the most important. Mobile traffic on the internet now surpasses desktop traffic. That means the majority of website visitors looking at your website are on a mobile device. A proper mobile experience will encourage your visitors to see you as a credible resource for information, products and services. A mobile-friendly website not only benefits you in search results but also improves ease of use for your customers and prospects when viewing and navigating your site.
3. Set up and Optimize a Google My Business Page
Google My Business is a free business listing through Google that allows your business to appear in organic and local search results including Google Maps. When someone searches for the name of your business, Google will display the information from your Google My Business page and display it in a panel on the right-hand side of the search results. This panel is only available to those who have set up their free Google My Business page.
What Should You Do Next
- Spending time creating quality content in the form of blog posts on your website is a great way to start improving your page rank in Google. Remember that imperfect action is better than no action at all. Share your unique point of view and expertise.
- Look at your website on your mobile device. Is it easy to navigate and can you get the information you need on mobile as well as desktop? If not, you should consider a website refresh that offers a better experience for your customers.
- Claim your business on Google and set up Google My Business. This is an easy win and one you won’t regret spending the time on.
- Feel free to get in touch with us if you need help or want to schedule a free consultation and website audit.